The Elm is an online literature and art journal that encourages submissions by the lgbtq+ community, women, people of color, indigenous, and the disabled, as well as members of other under-represented groups.
We accept submissions on a rolling basis and welcome all unpublished literature written in the English language (and translations accompanied by the original text) as well as many forms of visual art. It is free to submit, and all work must be electronically submitted using the form below.
Simultaneous submissions are welcomed; however, please let us know if the work is accepted elsewhere. Multiple submissions are also welcomed, though we ask that you submit only once per genre per month. The genres are as follows: Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Flash Fiction, Poetry, and Visual Art.
For general inquiries, requests, and concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Literature Submissions:
Works of Flash, Fiction, Poetry, and Creative Non-Fiction should be submitted using the form below as a .doc or .docx file. We will not consider submissions that are not within these file formats.
- The submission should be in 12 point font (preferably Times New Roman or Courier). Please add the word count in the top right corner of the first page and include page numbers.
- You may add a cover letter into the comments box of the submission form the form below that includes your first and last name, email address, the title of your work(s), and a brief bio (100 words or less).
- We undergo a “blind” submissions process. Personal information should not appear anywhere on the document of your fiction submission.
Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction: We accept all work that is under 6,000 words. Please submit only one piece per submission.
Flash Fiction Guidelines: For fiction that is under 1,000 words, you may submit up to three pieces. Please include all pieces within one document.
Poetry Guidelines: Please submit 1-6 poems within one document.
For visual art submissions:
- Works of visual art should be attached to the email as a .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, or .pdf file. If the work cannot be attached as so, then we cannot consider the submission.
- You may add a cover letter into the comments box of the submission form <method> that includes your first and last name, email address, the title of your work(s), and a brief bio (100 words or less). You may also include a 1-50 word “artist’s statement” about each work.
- We undergo a “blind” submissions process. Personal information should not appear anywhere on the attached document(s) aside from signatures on the work itself.
- We accept most forms of visual art; this includes, but is not limited to: photography, illustration, animation, sculpture, painting, ceramics, and drawing.
- Each artist can submit up to five pieces of visual art for consideration.
Please give us up to 60 days to respond to your submission(s). We are not a paying market. The Elm acquires First North American Serial Rights for the work we publish. All rights revert back to the author upon publication. If your work is later republished, we request you note its initial publication in The Elm.